Friday, 31 July 2015

Saint Ignatius Of Loyola (1491 - 1556). Founder Of The Jesuits. Feast Day 31 July.

Text from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.

Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Feast Day 31 July.


White Vestments.

Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Artist: Peter Paul Rubens (1577–1640).
Date: 1600s.
(Wikimedia Commons)

Ignatius was born in Northern Spain in 1491. He was the eleventh child of the Lord of Loyola, and, at the age of fifteen, came as Page to the Court of King Ferdinand V of Spain.

His ardent and martial nature caused him to choose a military career. At the Siege of Pamplona, he was severely wounded in the leg. During his long convalescence, in the absence of books of chivalry, for which he had a passion, they gave him to read The Lives of Jesus Christ and of The Saints.

This reading was for him a revelation. It dawned on him that The Church also has her Army, which, under the Orders of the Representative of Christ, fights to defend here below the Sacred Interests of The God of Hosts [To the Three Religious Vows, Saint Ignatius adds a fourth, by which the Members of The Society of Jesus bind themselves to go wherever the Pope will send them for the Salvation of Souls].

English: Choir of the l'Escolania de Montserrat
in the Basilica of the Abbey of Montserrat, Catalonia, Spain,
where Saint Ignatius laid down his sword at the feet of the statue of The Virgin.
Français: Choeur de l'Escolania de Montserrat
dans la basilique de l'abbaye de Montserrat, Catalogne, Espagne.
Photo: 21 September 2009.
Source: Own work.
Author: Bernard Gagnon.
(Wikimedia Commons)

He then laid down his sword at the feet of The Virgin, in the famous Benedictine Abbey at Montserrat, and his generous Soul, once enamoured of worldly glory, now only longed for the Greater Glory of The King, Whom, henceforth, he would serve (Collect).

Throughout the night of 25 March, when the Mystery of The Incarnation of The Word is Solemnised, after confessing his sins, he kept his Knightly Vigil, and The Mother of God armed him for Christ and The Church Militant, His Spouse.

Soon, he became General of The Society of Jesus, raised by Providence to combat Protestantism, Jansenism and returning Paganism.

English: Benedictine Abbey of Montserrat, Spain.
Deutsch: Unterhalb des „Roca de St. Jaume“.
Español: Vista desde la roca de Sant Jaume.
Photo: 2003.
Source: Own work.
Author: Richard Schneider.
(Wikimedia Commons)

On the mountain, The Sons of Benedict, as a prelude to The Liturgy in Heaven, will continue the Solemn Celebration of The Divine Office, which Ignatius will recommend to the Faithful, and whose Sacred Melodies he never heard without tears ["The Third of the Eighteen Rules, made by Saint Ignatius, as the crowning of The Spiritual Exercises, "that we may have the true sentiments of the orthodox Church," recommends to The Faithful the Canticles of The Church, the Psalms and the difference Canonical Hours at their appointed times. And, at the head of this book, in order to enable one to draw most profit from these Exercises, he rules in his twentieth note that, he who can do so, is to choose, for the duration of The Exercises, a dwelling whence he may easily go to The Offices of Matins and Vespers, as well as to Mass" (Dom Guéranger: The Liturgical Year: 31 July. Saint Ignatius of Loyola)]; and he, sacrificing himself to his Mission, goes down into the plain, to oppose with his valiant troops, the attacks of the hostile army, whose violent onslaughts are always directed against his Institute (Epistle).

Wherefore, to preserve in his sons the intense Interior Life, required by the militant activity to which he devotes them, Saint Ignatius subjects them to a strongly organised hierarchy and teaches them, in a masterly treatise, highly approved of by The Church, his Spiritual Exercises, which have Sanctified thousands of Souls.

It has been affirmed that it was the practice of the Exercitatorium of the Benedictine Cisneros, Abbot of Montserrat in 1500, which inspired him with the idea. Guided by Grace, he realised it, however, at Manresa, Spain, in a different and very personal way.

The Life of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Available on YouTube at

Saint Ignatius arms his sons by giving them, for their shield; the name of Jesus (Introit), for their breastplate; the Love of God, which The Saviour came to enflame on Earth (Communion) [when he sent Missionaries abroad, he used to say to them: "Go, my brothers, inflame the World and spread everywhere the fire which Jesus Christ came to kindle on the Earth"] and Whose symbol, The Sacred Heart, they gloriously bear in the folds of their flag; and for their sword; Preaching, Writing, Teaching, and all other forms of Apostolate.

It was in a Benedictine Monastery in Spain, that, at The Feast of The Annunciation, Saint Ignatius first used these arms; in a Chapel of The Benedictine Abbey of Montmartre, that, on The Feast of The Assumption, in 1534, and later on at the Altar of The Virgin of the Basilica of Saint Paul-Without-the-Walls, served by Benedictines, that was born The Society of Jesus, that noble chivalry of Christ, and, lastly, it was the Benedictine Pope, Pius VII, a native of Cesena and a Monk of its Abbey, who, in 1814, re-established it in all its rights.

It is, therefore, God, Himself, Who unites at the feet of The Blessed Virgin these two Orders, which powerfully help The Church, for Martha and Mary, action and contemplation, both contribute, by different means, to the Glory of God.

Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Available on YouTube at

The Mottoes of these two Religious families are alike: "In all things God be Glorified ! (I.O.G.D.)" and "To the Greater Glory of God ! (A.M.D.G.)"

Not to do anything, except for the Glory of God, and to do everything for His greater Glory, is the perfection of Holiness. It is the end of The Creation, the end of man's elevation to a Supernatural Life, the end, indeed, of the evangelical precepts, which cause generous Souls to renounce, by Vow, things that are lawful, in order to devote themselves more freely to the interests of God, and to render to Him, in its entirety, the accidental Glory He had been deprived of by man's use of unlawful things.

Benedict has filled Europe with his Missionary Monks, whose principal work is to Praise God, and Ignatius, with his Priest-Apostles (Gospel), who make manifest their Interior Life by their untiring activity.

Tomb of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Church of Il Gesù,
Mother Church of The Society of Jesus,
Rome, Italy.
Photo: 13 November 2005.
Source: Own work.
Author: Torvindus.
(Wikimedia Commons)

From Montserrat, twelve Monks, with their Superior, started with Christoper Columbus, for the New Continent. From Lisbon, started Francis Xavier, who first evangelised Japan and China. It is the same Tree of the Love of God, which, on different branches, bears the same fruit.

On 31 July 1556, Saint Ignatius died, pronouncing the name of Jesus, and his Society of Jesus spread throughout the World. It numbers, nowadays, forty-four Provinces and several hundreds of Colleges [The Society of Jesus numbers: Twenty-three Canonised Saints; 142 Beatified; Three Venerables; and over 100, whose twenty-nine Causes are being discussed. It had, in 1934, 24,270 Members: There were 24,000 at the Time of the Suppression of The Society of Jesus in 1773 [Editor: By Pope Clement XIV, in the Brief "Dominus ac Redemptor" (21 July 1773)]. It has given to The Church illustrious Prelates and a large number of Apostles, learned men, educators and influential men, as is proved by the numerous Congregations or Religious Associations under the direction of the Sons of Saint Ignatius. The Apostleship of Prayer, for instance, is believed to number some thirty million Associates.]

May we obtain, by the intercession of Saint Ignatius, so to be Sanctified in Truth (Secret) by the Sacred Mysteries of Mass and Communion, the Source of all Holiness, that, with the help of this Saint, we may, after his example, so combat evil on Earth, as to be crowned with him in Heaven (Collect).

Church of the Gesù,
Rome, Italy.
Mother Church of The Jesuits.
Saint Ignatius Loyola is buried here.
Photo: 7 September 2013.
Source: File:Chiesa gesu facade.jpg (cropped).
Author: Alessio Damato.
(Wikimedia Commons)

Thursday, 30 July 2015

Saint Abdon And Saint Sennen. Martyrs. Feast Day 30 July.

Text from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.

SS. Abdon and Sennen.
Feast Day 30 July.


Red Vestments.

Saint Sennen Church,
Sennen, Cornwall, England.
Photo: 5 November 2008.
Source: Own work.
Author: Andrewrabbott.
(Wikimedia Commons)

Saint Sennen's Church is a Parish Church, of The Church of England,
located in Sennen, Cornwall, England. 
The Church is Mediaeval. It is known as the
Parish Church of Land's End, Cornwall, and the Patron is The Duke of Cornwall.

Saints Abdon and Sennen, born in Persia, "were arrested and taken to Rome under the Emperor Decius. They were scourged with cords, weighted with lead, and beheaded" (Roman Martyrology). This was in the middle of the 3rd-Century (254 A.D.)

Mass: Intret.

Saint Sennen Church,
Sennen, Cornwall, England.
Illustration: SENNEN COVE

Interior of Saint Sennen Church,
Sennen, Cornwall, England.
Illustration: SENNEN COVE

The Church Of Maria Am Gestade (Saint Mary On The Shore), Vienna, Austria.

English: The High Altar,
Church of Maria am Gestade (Saint Mary on the Shore),
Vienna, Austria.
Deutsch: Hochalter der Wiener Pfarrkirche Maria am Gestade.
Photo: 26 January 2015.
Source: Own work.
Author: Bwag © Bwag/Commons.
(Wikimedia Commons)

The exquisite Tabernacle in the Church of Maria am Gestade (Saint Mary on the Shore),
Vienna, Austria, which features both Gothic and Baroque elements.

The following Text is from Wikipedia - the free encyclopaedia.

Maria am Gestade (English: Mary on the Shore) is a Gothic Church in Vienna, Austria. One of the oldest Churches in the City — along with Saint Peter's Church and Saint Rupert's Church — it is one of the few surviving examples of Gothic architecture in Vienna. 

The Church was traditionally used by sailors on the Danube River. The name, Maria am Gestade, reflects the former location on the Fluvial Terrace of an arm of the Danube River.

Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Saints Felix, Simplicius, Faustinus, Beatrice. Martyrs. Feast Day 29 July.

Text from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.

SS. Felix, Simplicius, Faustinus and Beatrice.
Feast Day 29 July.


Red Vestments.

The statue of Saint Beatrice (on the Right) is part of a group of twenty-four statues
installed above the Colonnade entrance above the Basilica of Saint Peter's, Rome.

English: Martyrdom of Saint Simplicius and Saint Faustinus.
Français: Martyre de saint Simplice et de saint Faustin.
Date: 14th-Century.
Author: Richard de Montbaston et collaborateurs.
(Wikimedia Commons)

The Holy Pontiff, Felix II, is a Pope of the 4th-Century. He was Martyred in Tuscany, Italy, in the time of the Arians, 365 A.D. [Editor: See The Breviary notes (below), reference the dispute about Felix.]

Saints Simplicius and Faustinus, denounced as Christians to the persecutors, were put to death at Rome under Emperor Diocletian in 304 A.D. Saint Beatrice, their sister, was arrested and strangled in prison. Pope Leo II placed the Relics of these three Martyrs in a Church at Rome Dedicated in their names.

Mass: Sapiéntiam.




English: A French Prayer Book of 1905 containing extracts from The Roman Missal,
and The Roman Breviary of the time, with French translations.
Français: Nouveau Paroissien Romain contenant en latin et en français
les Offices et Messes de tous les dimanches et de toutes les fêtes de l'année ecclésiastique.
File: File:Nouveau Paroissien Romain (1905).jpg
Uploaded: 6 May 2009.
Author: Perky.
(Wikimedia Commons)

Illustration: RORATE CAELI

The following Text is from The Pre-1911 Roman Breviary
(Volume II. Summer).
Translated out of Latin into English by
John, Marquess of Bute, K.T.
Date: 1879.

The Holy Martyrs, Felix, Simplicius, Faustinus, and Beatrix (Beatrice).
Feast Day 29 July.


The Martyrology says that Simplicius, Faustinus, and Beatrix (Beatrice) were two brothers and a sister, who suffered at Rome under Diocletian. Concerning Felix, there has been much dispute. The Missal and Breviary, by suppressing the Title of Pope or Bishop (always given in such cases) seem to confirm the view, now generally adopted by historians, viz., that he was an African Martyr, who suffered on 10 November, and whose relics were brought to Rome on 29 July, but the Martyrology retains another theory, now generally rejected, which identifies this Saint with one Felix, intruded into the See of Rome by Constantius during the Pontificate of Liberius, and now commonly regarded as an Anti-Pope of very dubious orthodoxy.

Saint Martha. Virgin. Feast Day 29 July.

Text is from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.

Saint Martha.
Feast Day 29 July.


White Vestments.

Jesus at the house of Mary and Martha.
Artist: Harold Copping (1863–1932).
Date: 1927.
(Wikimedia Commons)

After having celebrated, on the 22nd of this month, the Feast of Saint Mary Magdalen, we honour today, Martha, her sister.

The daughter of noble and rich parents, she lived at Bethany, two miles from Jerusalem. "Jesus", says Saint John, "loved Martha and her sister Mary and Lazarus," wherefore He preferred to dwell at their house when He was in Judea. There He spent the days which preceded His death.

Martha, who was the eldest, therefore often had the honour of being the hostess of Jesus (Gospel, Communion), The Divine Spouse, to Whom she had Consecrated her Virginity (Epistle). While busy with serving Jesus, she requested Him to bid Mary help her. And Jesus, without blaming her for ministering to His wants, made her understand that certain Souls, called by God, choose a still better part, since they commence on Earth what all shall do in Heaven.

Active life, with all its labours and fatigues endured for the sake of Christ, Whom we serve in our neighbour, is very meritorious; "happy, however, is the home where Mary causes the complaint of Martha" [Saint Bernard of Clairvaux: Sermon III of The Assumption] and refuses to take away from Prayer a life which ordinary occupations might appear to claim.

God is indeed the author of all Grace and wishes to be recognised as such; and contemplative life, which puts Souls in direct contact with Him, assures their personal Sanctification more fully and obtains more efficaciously the Graces by which a Christian Apostleship becomes fruitful.

Let us esteem at its just value the position that Jesus reserves to Mary, and, if He calls us to share in Martha's solicitude, let us endeavour, like the Saints, to make up by the spirit of Prayer, for what is wanting in active life.

Mass: Dilexísti.
Commemoration of Saints Felix, Simplicius, Faustinus and Beatrice. Martyrs.


Available (in U.K.) from

Available (in U.S.A.) from

Mary Teaches Us How To Worship.

The Text in this Article is from THE HERMENEUTIC OF CONTINUITY

The Blessed Virgin Mary Prays for us.
Illustration: SHUTTERSTOCK

Mary teaches us to worship:
Homily by Fr Timothy Finigan.
A Day With Mary.
Available on YouTube at

Fr Timothy Finigan says the following on his Blog, THE HERMENEUTIC OF CONTINUITY

"The Day With Mary came to the Parish of Margate a couple of weeks ago. Claudio has now put up on YouTube the Sermon that I gave at Mass on the theme of how Our Lady, as our Advocate, assists us at our worship.

"It is always embarrassing to see your own Sermon on video - it reminds me of the Sermon classes we had as Seminarians. There is much to criticise, but I hope that it might be of some use."

Consider The Lilies Of The Field, How They Grow: They Labour Not, Neither Do They Spin, But I Say To You, That Not Even Solomon In All His Glory Was Arrayed As One Of These . . .

English: Art Nouveau, Stained-Glass Window, PETIT PALAIS, Paris, France.
Français: Un vitrail du Petit Palais, à Paris.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...