Notre Dame de Rouen. The façade of the Gothic Church in France. Photographer: Hippo1947. Licence: SHUTTERSTOCK.

Saturday 6 August 2016

The Lavabo. The Washing Of The Priest's Hands During Mass.



The Lavabo.
The Washing Of The Priest's Hands During Mass.
Illustration: CATHOLIC SACRISTAN


The following Text is from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal.

Having received the Offerings and having Incensed the Altar, the Priest washes his fingers. Out of respect for The Body of Jesus, Which he is about to touch after The Consecration, even when no Incense has been used, he washes the tips of the first fingers of each hand.

This Ceremony is a Sacramental, which purifies our hearts and prepares them for The Holy Sacrifice and Communion. "The water that flows over the tips of our fingers," says Saint Augustine, "washes away the last traces of our impurities."

Let us say this Psalm with true contrition.



Illustration: ANGLICAN HISTORY


Psalm XXV.
Verses 6 - 12.

Lavabo inter innocéntes manus meas:
et circúmdabo altáre tuum, Dómine:

Ut áudiam vocem laudis,
et enárrem univérsa mirabília tua.

Dómine, diléxi decórem domus tuae,
et locum habitatiónis glóriae tuae.

Ne perdas cum ímpiis, Deus, ánimam meam,
et cum viris sánguinum vitam meam:

In quorum mánibus iniquitátes sunt:
déxtera eórum repléta est munéribus.

Ego autem in innocéntia mea ingréssus sum:
rédime me, et miserére mei.

Pes meus stetit in dirécto:
in ecclésiis benedícam te, Dómine.

Glória Patri . . .


I will wash my hands among the innocent;
and will encompass Thy altar, O Lord.

That I may hear the voice of Thy praise,
and tell of all Thy wondrous works.

I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of Thy house,
and the place where Thy glory dwelleth.

Take not away my Soul, O God, with the wicked,
nor my life with men of blood.

In whose hands are iniquities:
their right hand is filled with gifts.

But as for me, I have walked in my innocence:
redeem me, and have mercy on me.

My foot hath stood in the direct way:
in the Churches I will Bless Thee, O Lord.

Glory be to The Father . . .

In Masses for The Dead, and at Masses of The Season in Passiontide, The Glória Patri is omitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...